Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Why I Bought a CD in the Age of iTunes and Why You Should Too.

Let me tell you a story. This I know to be true: there are some songs that God hath given us to help us come alive.

Our ears are built using the same blueprint, and the same materials, yet we hear music so differently. You may get chills listening to Gangnam Style because it grooves (on so many levels) and is a universal staple in any human musical encyclopedia. I cry mercilessly when I hear Celtic flutes because I picture water and freedom in my mind, water free-flowing on an open sea (corny, I know). My sister jives with African voices and hand drums; my brother closes his eyes and gives a power-nod to hip hop, a motion that tells me he's thinking yes, this is good.

You've all probably seen and heard the hype about Spencer McCreary and his new band, Cardinal Harbor, which we've plastered all over Facebook and Twitter by posting an ungodly amount of pictures and videos and links. I'm here to explain why I believe in the work that Cardinal Harbor is doing and to explain why I, as a poor college student, spent money on this campaign, even though I could have had the CD for free.

We may all hear music differently, but this music has a message and that message is soul.

When I met Spencer, I knew that he was a musician but I didn't know why. As I admired him from afar (from 7th grade onward!), he always intrigued me and after a song and a dance (no pun intended), he was sitting on my back porch on summer nights, playing his guitar and telling me about music and what it does to his soul.

One sticky, hot summer afternoon this past year, I went along with Spence for company as he played guitar and violin for a small crowd of business folk and city folk over lunch at the Broad Street Market in Harrisburg, PA. After visiting my favorite used bookstore down the road, I sat at a table, drinking coffee, and watched him play from afar. As market goers passed by his little set-up in the corner, next to out-of-order restaurant equipment and wilted houseplants, they stopped to listen if they had a minute and if they were walking by with such momentum that they couldn't stop in time, they craned their necks to gaze at him playing, their mouths gaping. Little kids stopped to dance at his songs (songs they'd never heard), bending at the knees, undulating their torsos up to the sky and down to the ground. His music was moving people - quite literally - and I loved that.

He told me playing music is something that is a part of his being. He doesn't have a choice in life about whether or not to play. It is in him. And he'll forever make music.


Fast forward through a few years of bar gigs and country club gigs and market gigs and restaurant gigs and we're here: Spence has teamed up with some absolutely talented musicians and genuine guys. Chris, Scott, Julian, Aaron, Ryan, and Spence are devoted, inspired, and ready to do this thing. Cardinal Harbor is giving us the music that we've been waiting for. I believe in this band and I'm asking you to believe in them too.

In an era where the traditional "music industry" is up in arms, and digital music downloading at the click of a button is status quo, Cardinal Harbor (in my opinion) is trying to bridge the two in what has become a graceful waltz of coffeehouse jamming and culture-specific advocacy. They want to put their album in your hands! I believe that this band will rock your soul and have you dancing and singing. I've been listening to their jams for months now, and I still haven't stopped.They will meet you where you are! They want to talk music with you. They want to talk life with you.

In order to complete the production and distribution of their debut album, they need to raise $3,100 by March 5 and I have faith that with your help, they can do it. To order their debut album, simply visit the link below and pledge the donation of your choice! $10 will get you a digital download of the album, and $20 will include a hard copy CD of the album + digital download + handmade thank-you postcard sent right to your door. People, they even have VINYL albums for sale. It doesn't get hip-er than vinyl.


 I couldn't be more proud of the work that these guys have done and continue to do.

Thanks for believing in the power of music!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438012160/cardinal-harbor-faces-on-parade-debut-album-releas

No comments:

Post a Comment